Probiotics & Delicious Kefir Recipes
Today I want to talk about probiotics, why we need them, what they do for us, and how to incorporate it into our lives with a few delicious recipes.
Probiotics help move food through your gut. It regulates our immune system which is made up of good and bad bacteria. Studies have shown they detoxify our body from metals, help us to digest lactose (the sugar in milk), and help us absorb nutrients and minerals better from the food we eat.
Probiotic rich foods are things like sour kraut, pickles, yogurt, vinegars and kefir (which I'll get to) but there's more! Miso soups, natto (fermented soybeans), kimchee, olives,and kombucha are other good bacteria rich "living food" that give us life. It's amazing!
Today I want to explore Kefir and show you how to make it and how to incorporate it into your lifestyle in order to keep your gut healthy and immune system, strong!
What is Kefir?
Kefir is Probiotic + milk
When you mix probiotics with milk, it kills the lactose creating a superfood that is friendly to people that are lactose intolerant (like me!) It can have up to 12-15 different strains of bacteria in it (yogurt only has about 2 strains) -it sounds weird but these are all bacteria that regulate your immune system.
HOW TO MAKE KEFIR:
- Whole milk (left at room temp)
- 1 liter sealable mason jar
- 1 Kefir starter pack (I used the dried powder kind and found it at my local Wholefoods)
Add the Kefir starter pack powder to the jar and slowly pour in the milk. Seal tight and shake it up to mix. Leave the jar on your counter and check on it after 24 hours until it reaches a pudding like texture. Once you are happy with the consistency, put it in the fridge so it stops processing.
KEFIR Chia Pudding Recipe with Mango & Passionfruit:
- 1 Cup fresh homemade Kefir
- 3 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Couple Drops of Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- Mix all ingredients in a jar or bowl the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight. It's ready to eat in the morning with chopped juicy mango, juicy passionfruit, and coconut flakes. TOOO YUM!!
- Tart, creamy and refreshing!
OTHER RECIPE IDEAS:
Plain Kefir Parfait with Fruit
- Serve 1 cup of Kefir in a bowl and top it with sliced strawberry, banana, honey and granola.
Blueberry Kefir Protein Smoothie
- Blend 1 Cup blueberries, 1 banana, 1 Cup Kefir, 1 scoop vanilla protein, and cup of ice for an afterwork out treat!
I hope you babes enjoyed this post! It's so important to take care of your gut because 65% of your immune system lives in your digestive tract. How crazy is that!! Good luck making the kefir and if you experiment with different recipes or try one from above, tag me @rrayyme so I can see : )
Love you lots,